Each postcard, letter, and check sent through Lob within the U.S. has a unique barcode that gets scanned by USPS as it travels through the mail stream. You can access this scan event data via our API or Dashboard, or get notifications for them by creating webhooks. Below is a breakdown of each scan event label and description:
- In Transit - The mailpiece is being processed at the entry/origin facility.
- In Local Area - The mailpiece is being processed at the destination facility.
- Processed for Delivery - The mailpiece has been greenlit for delivery at the recipient's nearest postal facility. The mailpiece should reach the mailbox within 1 to 2 business days of this scan event.
- Re-routed - The mailpiece is re-routed due to recipient change of address, address errors, or USPS relabeling of barcode/ID tag area.
- Returned to Sender - The mailpiece is being returned to sender due to barcode, ID tag area, or address errors.
For First Class Mail, you will usually see your first scan event around 3 business days after the piece has been scheduled to go out. For Standard Class Mail, you will usually see your first scan event around 4-5 business days after the piece has been scheduled to go out. These scan events will not appear for mail sent internationally. For more information on tracking mail internationally please refer here.
Please note that tracking data cannot be accessed via USPS's website and tracking data not available for the following products: