Yes. Each postcard, letter, and check sent through Lob within the U.S. has a unique barcode that gets scanned by USPS as it travels through the mail stream. Lob then uniquely processes USPS mail scans along with additional information returned from our network of print and mail partners to provide a comprehensive set of mail tracking data. You can access this mail tracking data via our API or Dashboard, or get notifications for them by creating webhooks.
Below is a breakdown of each mail tracking event label and description:
- Mailed - The mailpiece has been handed off to and accepted by USPS and is en route. Please note: Due to the technical complexity involved in providing accurate proof of mailing information, this data is only available in Enterprise editions of Lob. Contact Sales if you want access to this feature. For more information about the Mailed event, click here.
- In Transit - The mailpiece is being processed at the entry/origin facility.
- In Local Area - The mailpiece is being processed at the destination facility.
- Processed for Delivery - The mailpiece has been greenlit for delivery at the recipient's nearest postal facility. The mailpiece should reach the mailbox within 1 to 2 business days of this tracking event.
- Re-routed - The mailpiece is re-routed due to recipient change of address, address errors, or USPS relabeling of barcode/ID tag area.
- Returned to Sender - The mailpiece is being returned to sender due to barcode, ID tag area, or address errors.
For tracking events from USPS (i.e., all events listed above except for the “Mailed” event), expect to see your first tracking event appear within:
- 3 business days after your Send Date for First Class Mail
- 4-5 business days after your Send Date for Standard Class Mail
In general, tracking events will not appear for mail sent internationally. For more information on tracking mail internationally, please refer here.
Please note that tracking data cannot be accessed via USPS's website and tracking data not available for the following products: